Hyperhidrosis

There was a time that I would never speak about my misfortune of suffering from hyperhidrosis. For the longest, I didn't know the word even existed, but I knew that I was different and something was not right about me.

For those who have no idea, hyperhidrosis is a "disorder" where one sweats uncontrollably and excessively--more than the average human being. It can be anywhere, or everywhere on your body, but I have always had it the worst under my arms (armpits).

I first took notice in elementary school. It was nearing my graduation of 5th grade. I never thought much about it. I was a kid, so that was not the first priority on my mind. I shrugged it off like whatever and kind of went on with my life. For some reason, I also thought my sweating had a connection with me always being active. As a kid, I ran like crazy, did cheerleading & tumbling, and played soccer. But that would not be the case. Being an active kid never helped the problem, but it wasn't the cause of the problem.

When middle school came around, that was when it became more of an annoyance. My mind still wasn't truly focused in on my sweating problem, but that was when I truly began to withdraw. I stopped being active because of it (with the exception of cheerleading), I became quiet and kept my distance from people so they wouldn't take notice of any pit stains I may have had. Towards the very end of my 8th grade graduation, my style even switched up. Black was my main color. I distinctly recall my sister always calling me a goth because black was pretty much the only thing in my closet. My music switched up too. I began listening to more rock such as Tokio Hotel, t.A.T.u., Breaking Benjamin and others. It always seemed to fit my mood. I didn't take much notice at how hyperhidrosis was effecting every single move I made.

My high school career is what I call "shot down from hell." It was hell to me. This was when I knew it was something greater than me. It honestly controlled my every move, and I knew it. Being to myself was the best solution. Wearing jackets even when I didn't want to became an everything day. I hated it. I saw these people able to wear whatever colors they wanted and not have stains like me. I absolutely hated it. I was extremely embarrassed as well. I didn't talk to my family about it until then too. I felt that bad about my condition.

I found out I had hyperhidrosis when there was a True Life (on MTV) story about a girl who suffered from it too. Hearing and seeing that I wasn't alone was like a relief (I opened up to my bestfriend about it then), but it still didn't help my problem. Now, I was in the mindset of figuring out what the hell I could do to take back control over my life.

There was this Certain Dri deodorant I had bought when I was in high school. I used it, but for some reason, I came to the conclusion that it didn't work and stopped (I had been using it wrong, come to find out). I started using it again not too long ago. I'm in my college years, and not being able to wear what I want has been overruled in my mind. I just won't stand for it anymore. And this Certain Dri is working like a charm.

There's an itching side effect, but it's worth it just to stay dry under my arms and be capable of wearing whatever I want without being scared.

I highly recommend it to anyone who believes they may be suffering from hyperhidrosis. Don't let it rule your life. And to be open about it is not a crime, 'cause you're not alone like you may think you are.

Comments

Popular Posts