Saving Private Ryan

I will never forget the first time I watched Saving Private Ryan. I was in highschool--it was my Sophomore year. Nothing could have prepared me for it. My teacher did give a warning beforehand, but I didn't pay any mind to it. If I remember correctly, we actually had to have our parents sign off on us being able to watch the movie because of the gore and whatnot.

I, till this day, still don't know if it was because the sound was kind of loud (I was in the front, like right by the projector and speakers) or what, but the second the opening scene ensued, I was no longer able to be me. What I mean, is that I was the most uncomfortable I had ever been watching a film. I was jumping in  my seat, though I was trying my best to cover it up in front of my peers. Even closing my eyes didn't help. And that made it worse, since I couldn't brace myself for the explosive sounds.

I was real close to asking to be excused and tell the teacher that I just couldn't take it, and I wished to not see the rest of the movie.

I didn't leave though. I watched the entire thing.

As much as I hated the discomfort I felt at the time, I wouldn't trade it for a second. That discomfort is what I aim to do with my future films. Regardless that the opening scene was merely a simulation of what exactly happened that day (cause the only ones who will know what it truly was like are the ones that fought that battle that day), it was real to me.

I strive for that realness in my works or future career projects. I want my topics to cause so much discomfort when they are face to face with as close to truth and the realness of a situation as I can get to it.

Comments

Popular Posts