To Be A Real Man

Men are the most likely to commit suicide. It is a proven fact, statistic.

I sit and think: why is that?

I am not a man. I have no idea what it is like to walk a man's walk or be in their shoes. But I marvel at the pressures put on men, whether it is their own pressures or from society, and cannot help but see a glimmer as to why men are most likely to commit suicide.

Women have pressures too, self-made and from society as well. However, the picture that it is okay for women to cry and reach out for help and so on is presumed to me "more normal." On the other hand, for men to express their emotions, whether it is crying, or just talking about what is going on in their minds (confiding in someone) and etc., has such a "negative connotation" toward it. Expression of emotions in men are not seen as masculine. It gets them called "weak," awful words like "gay" (which I strongly am against) among other unmentionables and unknowns.

This bothers me. It does not only bother me because of the way some men carry themselves in society today--always feeling like they have to prove something or "be tough" or "be the man" and either smother stresses or release them in unhealthy, aggressive or unrighteous manners--but it bothers me when I think of the possibility of one day birthing my own son into this widespread societal view.

As a feminist, I do not stand against men. I have no vendetta against them. As a feminist, I am for men. I want nothing but the best for them. To me, that involves levitating any pressures put on them or within to keep such actions like suicide from being committed and unhealthy coping mechanisms like drug abuse, self-harm and reckless behaviors that are not indeed them, or make up who they are. Most certainly, this is within the bounds of respecting myself as well, and should be for any individual.

Self-respect and self-love are some of the greatest achievements to achieve in this crazy world. It also seems to be the hardest to achieve at times. But never impossible.

I would love to see these pressures eliminated. I would love to live in a society where men being in touch with their emotions is the "manly way to go." That that sort of expression is what it means to be a real man.

Comments

Popular Posts