What Do You Stand For?

When one feels an injustice has been done, collectively, peacefully coming together is an amazing thing. I emphasize on peacefully, because as Martin Luther King Jr. advocated for, if you want a peaceful end, you should carry yourself peacefully to meet that peaceful end. You cannot expect a peaceful end by submitting to violence, which breeds more violence and more hatred instead of love. But while coming together is great, individually stepping up to make a difference is just as important.

A majority of my writings reflect injustices and issues that I advocate against or stand up for, what interests me and what I'm trying to understand. This includes, but is not limited to how women can be treated in society by other women and men, how men can be treated in society by women and other men, how women can carry themselves, how men can carry themselves, how violence can affect people, how systems can be structured in today's society (whether crooked or straight), rape culture, the young generation, women empowerment, freedom, trans* treatment, sexuality and the social issues continue on. I contribute mainly minorities in my writings, but never exclude the majority either. All of this because I want to let anyone who finds themselves within these categories or at some sort of crossroads, that they are represented, thought of. And, that is my reality. I surround myself with different races and ethnic backgrounds. Some issues, I just want to inform of my findings, my research. I believe that stuff, awareness, to be important. Yeah, some may not agree, but at least it did not go unsaid. And anyone has the right to make their decision from there.

I will dig into the uncomfortable, the rarely mentioned, because I believe so many turn their heads from it for various reasons. Half the time, if I do not make someone uncomfortable, I feel I am not doing my job right as a writer.

That is my individual contribution.

Anything anyone stands for or stands against should be reflected in their daily lives. I do not believe in talking the talk but not walking the walk if it is something that really matters to you or concerns you.

For instance, which I have been confronted with too many times, is the fact of men saying they respect women, but yet they are out here treating them as if they are dirt. I always marvel on the thought if another guy was doing what they are doing to their mothers and sisters or daughters, nieces, aunts or cousins, they would not take a liking to that at all. Many are so fast to want to fight a guy for messing with the women of their family, but treat women that are not family like crap. Where is the sense in that? That is not respecting women to me. That is "respecting women of your choosing," and I see a major problem with that.

There is too much choosing, in general, that involves hatred, self-interests and only personal instead of taking a step back, or out of your box, your own realm, and trying to see the world through someone else's eyes.

Empathy. There is such a lack.

That and practicing what you stand for.

If you are going to stand for something, then do it.

Not everyone is going to feel the same way. We were not made to think alike.

I will always advocate for understanding the other's side, at least, and respectfully agreeing to disagree. And still carrying yourself with love.

In addition, no one has to win everyone over to spark change they would like to see. Sometimes it only takes one or a few to plant seeds and allow the change you would like to see to be shown through your words and actions.

Comments

Popular Posts