Gap Year Closing

My Gap Year is coming to an end. I feel a range of emotions, varying from excitement to anxiety to adventure to hope and so on. I regret nothing. Absolutely nothing. This Gap Year opened my eyes wide, and I had thought my eyes had already been open wide - I had a reality check.

My eyes still have more widening to do...

I would have never been happy staying at the University of Louisville. Ever. I'm glad I didn't. I'm glad to be starting over with Western Kentucky University. I haven't even started the year yet, but already, I am taking steps on my own and getting exceptional guidance by others there. That never happened at UofL. Not saying I want someone to hold my hand, but a little push is always nice, and it kind of is needed by me. I don't want to feel like I am wasting my time, trying everything in my power to get my vision straightened out, but when I ask questions, I get no answers. That was what it was like for me at UofL. I utterly felt like my voice didn't matter, not even a smidgen.

I emailed my academic advisor at WKU with all of my concerns, and just the next morning, she had emailed me back with very helpful answers and advice. She even went beyond that, sharing more info I had no clue about, that allows me to drop a class, or else, I would've been wasting my time. I am so thankful for her working with me, while on the other hand, when I was simply wanting to talk to my advisor at UofL face-to-face (it was while I was on campus), to discuss me switching my major, I was told to fill out a form on the internet, and then it was added that I may not be able to even make the switch. It also took me a good minute to get to my advisor on the phone, because I was tossed around, told to call one person and then another, and then rudely tossed right back to the same person.

I have sort of lost my thought now.

Let me just end on: taking a Gap Year did me well, though I never wanted it to happen in the first place, but everything happens for a reason. I feel my reasons, at the moment, are: so I wouldn't have been lying to myself; so I could find myself, figure out what I honestly want to do in life, and get a huge reality check on who I want to be and what I don't want to be; so I could grow more as a person; and get my priorities straight.

Comments

Popular Posts