Blue Dogwood (Work In Progress/On Hold)

Blue Dogwood

By Shaire Blythe



Hot and smothered was my skin, as the sun’s rays streamed through the wild branches and light petals of the tree. Today was one of the hottest afternoons in Mississippi. There came a short breeze every now and then, but it was fleeting as well as warm. The sensation took me back to my childhood - how I would stay out forever in the summer, having not a care in the world. I would run and shriek and explore. No worries. No troubles.

I lifted my arm, observing the fresh coat of sweat on my skin. It glistened, a rich caramel, like I had sparkles on me. Or had I used my sparkling lotion this morning?

I gently folded my arms upon my stomach and stared above me. The blinding sunspot caused me to squint through the lively obstacles. I saw a blur around the edges of each branch and petal in my path. It was similar to me leaving this world, pulling away.

Was this what it looked like to die? Did you see a bright light and everything around you began to fuzz up?

My breath was slowly being dragged away as I got absorbed into the thought and scene. I probably would’ve never got my lifeline back if it hadn’t been for the Grangers.

Comments

Popular Posts