Put It On

 
Put It On
By: Shaire Blythe

Take One.

It was a light brighter than I’d ever stumbled upon. I swear I had been blinded, left to see a pit of nothingness for the rest of my life. One moment I could see, and the next I only heard and smelt and felt. At a time of brief shock, they all came rushing at me, kicking into survival mode. The woodland air was crisp and pungent, as the midnight creatures lurked and summoned their associations. Branches poked at my bare arms and legs, producing minor stinging sensations. Practically handicapped in a place like this wasn’t what I wanted to be.

“Jace, damn it!” I warily complained at her. It was no one but her. I should’ve been thankful that it was only her and no one else that had came up on me like that. But it didn’t take away the fact that she’d weakened my vision in a flash. My eyes were very sensitive.

“My bad, my bad,” she muttered. “This camera is new. Cut me some slack, Mikayla.” I heard her cease her walking ahead of me.

“Yeah, sure…” I wiped at my eyes. I could feel my violet contacts being moved underneath my harsh pressure. I blinked multiple times to regain sight and move them back in place. The first thing I saw was Jace’s full-freckled face solemnly focused on me.

“You good? How many fingers am I holding up?”

I rolled my eyes, lightly slapping her free hand down.

“I’m good, thank you.” I faked a smile.

“Well, c’mon. The faster we get there, the faster we can leave. Ferris insists this is a perfect place to set up camp and do a show. I, on the other hand, don’t think it’s the best, but that’s why we’re leaving it up to you,” Jace rambled on and on.

She had a mouth on her, that was for sure. Nonetheless, I loved her. We had been best friends since elementary school days. Whenever a little girl had picked on her for her many freckles or her uncontrollable crinkled hair, I had been the one to have her back. I was sure Jace would’ve done the same for me, but I’d never needed anyone to help fight my battles. I was pretty good by myself.


Comments

Popular Posts