Ima Cause A Lot of Trouble

I've always struggled with holding back when it comes to my writings. Even in school, when I had to write papers, I wanted to write exactly what I wanted to say, but of course, that was not possible. You have to draw some line; have some sort of censorship. Because of that, I felt like I was having to hold back a part of me. I couldn't fully express myself.

Now, though, not in high school, I don't even fret that stuff. Thank the Lord. BUT... uhhh, I'm not all out of the clear. Rebel writer, frank writer - whatever you may call it - is me. I tell it like it is in my mind. I like to stick to reality. There is a handful that loves that sort of stuff, & then there's a handful that still sticks to being conservative, and likes the idea of modesty & all that (maybe it's more so the older generations?).

I'm not the type of person that cusses like a sailor. I actually don't really cuss at all. I find it somewhat filthy and unnecessary when used over exceedingly. BUT, when it comes to what I write, I can throw every word up in the book into that, because I find it a great way to get some things across. That sounds almost like me having some sort of split life... I guess, me being a writer is different from the actual me. Which, as a writer, you have to be able to draw away from yourself and kind of be someone else. Depending on how many characters you focus on in a story, you may have to be multiple people in the same script.

Some people aren't able to understand that you are simply telling a story and nothing else. Like why people get so worked up over the n-word used in writings or even movies (a great example being the latest movie Jamie Foxx played in) I won't get. It was a part of our history, and it was used in that way for the time/setting of the movie. You can't wash it out and pretend it wasn't said, used or whatever. Using the older text of the n-word today and in such a racial, negative light with hatred is a different thing, in my mind. & I do use that word in my story The Dirty. The more modern use of it today, though. & I use it because it still is being used today in different context. Words I Never Said Freestyle by XV addresses that mildly. I have never said the word. Never plan on it. But I will include it in my writings if it is fitting for the character or to make up some part of my stories.

I say Ima Cause A Lot of Trouble, but that's something I really won't know until I accomplish my goals. One of my goals is re-finishing The Dirty and getting it published, & it will have some elements that some people may take and get all riled up over for no reason.

I was watching this documentary called The Falling Man, relating to September 11, 2001. A journalist on there said it best: Just because it [the picture of The Falling Man] made people feel uncomfortable, didn't mean that it should be swept under the rug. And I'm a true believer to that. & I will never change my writings for no one else except me.

Comments

  1. Wholeheartedly agree. I won't ramble this time (will probably write a blog post in response someday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know I don't mind the rambling. I do it myself at times.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts