Time of my Life

So I was in my car, windows down, blasting my music on this wonderful sunny day. All of a sudden, When The Lights Go Out began to play by Five. I turned it up even louder. That was my jam back in the day. Then, I began to think, "Hmm, these words are very promiscuous. I never even noticed that when I was a child." Shoot, my parents didn't even try to shield me from it in any form and I still didn't really get the gist of what Five were talking about.

I then started to think about the more current days. They seem so different and less innocent. Kids, that is. A child hears a song like that now and they know exactly what is being talked about, no questions really asked. They know about stuff that they probably shouldn't, that took me forever to come to grasp and know about.

I feel I had an amazing childhood. I was climbing trees in my backyard, riding my bike around the block, playing tag outside with my neighbors & riding around in our Barbie Jeeps, Kawasaki Motorcycle & all of that good, great stuff. Compare that stuff to now, with kids having an iPhone in their hands by the age of 10, sitting at their computer, surfing the internet all day, staying cooped up in the house, not outside with nature. And don't even get me started on the difference of the shows they now play on TV. I had Rugrats, All That, Are You Afraid of the Dark, & Doug. What do they have? I know Spongebob still comes on. Think there's shows on Disney that I cannot even name. I used to always watch that channel and now, I skip right past it without a thought. They have took away all the good shows. I don't see how these kids survive.

I guess the generations before me can say the same thing. Scrap that, they do. I hear my Mom's stories often of her speaking about her childhood and how that was better than mine. As time goes on, the same thing will be repeated. But I'm still always gonna think the Rugrats time was the best.

Comments

Popular Posts