Beautifully Broken Mirror

My "Ugly People" (Click here to read) ideology didn't come from nowhere; it grew from once staring at my reflection in a broken mirror. Today, it can still be like I'm gazing into a broken mirror, but it's definitely not as unnerving as it was before.

When I was young, I had an innocent and subtle mind. My parents surrounded me with a positive environment and fortunate one. But when middle school came, it flipped my whole world upside down. I spent the worst years of my life at that middle school, and I'll never forget them. I was called ugly for the first time. I can recall the time, place, who said it, what I was doing and all. And I was laughed at 'cause it was said aloud only to amuse an audience, and with no purpose. I was scarred instantly. I had never viewed myself as ugly before then, nor anyone else. I mean, I knew I wasn't the best looking, but that wasn't my main focus until others forced me to look at myself and question what I had once believed.

There were definitely more incidents that I clearly remember. They weren't as traumatic as the first one, but they aren't forgotten either. Again, I can recall who said it, when it occurred, what I was doing and everything in between. Each and every time, I never provoked anything which made me more confused at the time and I think it caused more of an impact.

Today, it's funny (yet also a smidgen baffling) that the same people who had picked on me, called me names and so on, talk to me like nothing hurtful was ever said by them. I don't bring it up; it's in the past. I forgave a longgg time ago, but never forgot. Holding grudges make you look plain old.

Being bullied is not the end of the world. You can overcome. I allowed these people to shape me into something/someone beautiful. There are some cracks here and there, but the glow in the mirror outshines the pathetic cracks and can't be seen to the eye.

Comments

Popular Posts