Hope Can't Be Lost

One of the most heartbreaking things I have heard...

I'm currently sitting with my Mom at the hospital and a family friend. My cousin walks in. She had marched with people for MLK Day today. She made the statement she was looking around wondering where the young people were at. She went on to say that the young have forgotten the struggle. They don't care anymore really what we have gone through. Young ones now want things handed to them, and not work for them.

Somehow, conversation got turned into being appreciative of what you have, like my Mom. My cousin works for a school watching and teaching kindergarten children. There was a woman that dropped a kid off. Knew absolutely nothing about him, but was told to drop him off.

My cousin got his info from him. He was only 5 years old. But come to find out, the boy hadn't been registered for 2 months in the school system.

They finally retraced, found the boys mother and she got him re-registered. One day, at lunch, another teacher noticed the boy biting a nugget and storing the rest in his pocket. He did the same to another and another. The teacher finally asked him what he was doing. He said that he's keeping the rest of the nuggets for when he goes home. He goes hungry when he's at home.

It broke my heart hearing that story. She went on to say be thankful for what you have, cause he's only 5 years old and already having to learn survival skills. But it's up to your generation to change things. We're all burned out and tired out.

Something needs to be done. I got this kick in the pit of my stomach to do something. I don't know what yet, but I feel like an opportunity may arise and when ever it does, I should take it.

Comments

Popular Posts