Cray Cray

I ducked down, fast, before the oriental vase crashed into the wall behind me.
I couldn't quite comprehend what this bitch was doing as I cowered, covering my head.
She had once said that that vase had meant the world to her. It was her late grandma's.

It had been specially hand-painted with a mixture of apple-red, blue and mustard-yellow swirls.
It had a bunch of other crap on it as well, but I had never paid close attention to all of that.
It was just a damn vase. Or it had been.

"Goddamn you, Cedric," she roared like some lioness. It kind of made my skin grow hot. "How the fuck are you going to be messing around with that trick Mekelle, huh?"

I peeked up at her across the close-quartered living room. I was just in time to see the couch pillow coming for me. It struck be on my shoulder and flopped to the hardwood floor.

"You think I wasn't going to find out, huh?" She questioned. Her eyes were mad. She began reaching for the picture frame on the end table. It was a picture of her four-year-old niece Kay.

I quickly stood up straight, holding my hands out to block what was destined to come flying at me next. "Stop, damn it. I don't know what the hell you're talking about. You're always believing that shit people say. It's not true. Put the da--" That gold frame came right for the middle of my face. I dodged it in the knick of time. I was becoming a pro at this.

"Fuck you," she matter-of-factly stated.

"Crazy bitch," I mumbled under my breath.

She went on to the next object within reach. It was her lamp.

"Fuck this shit," I exclaimed, making my dash towards the front door. I knew that once it was thrown, there was no way of escaping that hard-ass shit. It was made of solid bronze, and it wasn't skinny either. It had a thick-based shape.

I yanked the door open, and the moment I did, the lamp went crashing into the back of it, completely shattering on impact. I made no hesitation, slamming that door behind me. I took in the biggest breath of winter air and let it go. That had been a close one.

It took me a second to notice Marquese sitting on the bottom step of the porch. I had forgot I left him out here for all that time.

"Lupita didn't kill you this time, nigga?" He questioned without glancing back at me. He had a fat blunt rolled up between his fingers. I just watched him as he took a long drag. I envied him.

"The bitch is crazy, that's all I got to say. But I still love her."

Cray Cray
By Shaire Blythe
Sunday, October 19, 2014
Spur of the moment writing.




Comments

Popular Posts