I Did The Same

By Shaire Blythe
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
 
I Did The Same
 
I did the same.
I understand how wrong it was at the time now,
because I am ultimately clutching my chest, fighting to see my tomorrow.
 
There once had been this sunset beyond the rustling trees and behind the tower.
I would watch as the cotton-pink skies faded to amber and Wake Up flowed from
my earphones.
The crisp air had been pleasant then.
And then you happened.
 
How can I honestly feel a hammer striking at my beating heart?
 
It is not you that has made me in to a withering rose.
What has happened is that I have known this position.
I have been that one girl for the moment--for the week--
and left behind to pick up the broken fragments.
I have been that pot boiling on the front stove and then
set back to cool off for whenever I was to be picked up again.
 
I did Isaac the same.
 
I racked up two, five guys like their lives were some shopping spree.
I divided my quality time with each, yet secretly whispering they were never the only
underneath thin cotton sheets.
 
My mistake.
 
Your mistake too.
 
They never really knew me.
 
I never really knew you too.

Comments

Popular Posts